Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Blog Post #3-Class and Socioeconomic Status



Although I was absent for our presentation this week, I really enjoyed the research and planning that went into preparing for this unit with my group. Looking more into the different classes in the world, makes me reflect back on how I was raised. My parents were both raised in low class working families. My Mom was the oldest of 6 children and she had the task of helping raise her other 5 siblings. My Dad was the oldest of 2, and grew up with nothing. His mother would buy him one pair of shoes, one pair of pants, and one shirt at the beginning of each school year and he would have to make that last until the next. After my parents got married, they worked very hard to build their furniture business and then 20 years later, they were able to retire at a fairly young age.

Growing up, I didn't realize how lucky I was or what class group I fell into. I went to a small private school, we had nice cars, I lived in a comfortable house, we took fun family vacations and I never went hungry. I thought this was normal. In high school, I dated a boy that went to the local public school. When we would hang out with his friends, they would tease me and call me "Rich Girl" and go on and on about how I was spoiled. This was news to me! I noticed that they lived differently than my family but I didn't think that was a fair reason to treat me differently or for me to act weird around them. This was my first experience with people treating me differently because of what I had, they were labeling me!

Now, looking back on it, my parents gave me everything I ever needed or wanted. I feel very strongly that they worked hard for what they have and they wanted to share that with me. When I am a parent, I want to do that and more for my children. I just hope that when that day comes, my kids won't feel "left out" or "picked on" because their family worked hard to give them everything they need!

Working in a private school setting now, I see what money does to young children. They think it's normal to jump in a private plane and go to the Bahamas for the weekend! Also, when the kids get older, they start to compare clothing, accessories, and material objects. Keeping this under control is the job of the parents and the educators to stay focused on what is truly important in life. (WHICH IS NOT MONEY)

No comments:

Post a Comment