Monday, October 25, 2010

Blog #7-Language



I enjoyed both presentations this evening. The language talk made me look at how people communicate in a whole different way. We discussed the issues of Ebonics, body language, incorrect symbols, and dialect. I liked the recommendations that the group made about dealing with kids speaking incorrectly with Ebonics. They suggested to correct the children by saying, “I would like you to speak academically” as opposed to “Stop talking that Ghetto Talk!” Also, most think that it's African Americans that use Ebonics, but a point was made tonight that those that people that struggle economically, also speak Ebonics. Another controversial issue that was brought up was do we let bilingual students take tests in their first language or do we test them in English?

I found this cartoon and thought it related to what we talked about tonight:

No comments:

Post a Comment