Monday, November 15, 2010

Blog #10- Age



I enjoyed the presentation on Age this evening. The girls started with the “Penny Activity.” Each person picked a penny out of a bag and found the date. If the date was later than your birth date, you were to think of a memory from that year. I picked the year 2009. This was a very special time for me because this is the year my best friend asked me to marry him. I only had to wait 7 years! I will never forget the year 2009 and of course the year 2010, when we were married.

A topic discussed tonight that I feel very strongly about is Childhood Obesity. This is such a serious topic today with children. I think that education regarding obesity needs to begin at home. Parents are the ones that provide their children with unhealthy food choices and that needs to stop. Parents need to be educated on what they should feed their children to give them the proper nutrition that they need. Also, it's important that children get exercise outside of school because public schools are really cutting back on their outside recess time.

Bullying is a hot topic in schools today and it is something that teachers and administrators must take seriously. Bullying is not only a physical activity but can be done with hurtful words as well. Actually, most of the time, the bullying I've seen has been with little girls and their mean words to one another. The most important thing I was taught was that bullying needs to be stopped before it starts. We teach our kids at our school at a very young age that being mean to others and saying things that aren't nice are not tolerated.

The last topic brought up tonight that I found interesting and controversial is teen pregnancy. The fact that this occurs so much more in Texas is awful. I think parents, teachers, and peers have a huge influence over teens when it comes to having sex. Parents and teachers educate them to be safe and peers can often pressure them to do things they aren't emotionally ready to do.

All of these topics have something in common: EDUCATION! Children must be properly educated on how to make correct choices in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment